Iwamoto is nowhere to be seen when I wake up. His car has also disappeared from the parking lot.

A carpenter's day seems to start early in the morning.

Half of the bread I bought yesterday is gone. So does the juice. I finish the rest and go straight to the hospital. By the time I come back home, Iwamoto has already prepared dinner.

Yesterday was a bad day for him, but today he seems to be in a much, much brighter mood. He prepared too many dishes. Many of which are difficult to name. He made...something like hot beef but with thick fried tofu instead of meat, another one looks like red miso soup but has chicken, onions, and eggplant in it. All are a little strong in flavor, but delicious. When I compliment him, Iwamoto just laughs as he encourages me to wash the dishes. 

Since then, I start waking up early and taking a hot bath. This way, there's a better chance of me having breakfast together with Iwamoto.

It always failed at first, but one cold morning, I finally get the chance to watch a weather forecast on TV with Iwamoto. We sip tea together, sitting really close to each other. I almost always wake up in a bad mood and am not very talkative in the morning, but seeing Iwamoto's sleepy face at dawn makes everything better. I suddenly feel so bright. As if something good is going to happen if I stay by his side always.

I used to wake up just in time to get dressed and run to the hospital. But since I start having real breakfast, my body feels lighter these days. My colleagues also tell me that my complexion looks better.

Iwamoto rarely drinks alcohol. So I imitate him. He only drinks beer once in a while. Iwamoto doesn't smoke. He always listens to music with headphones and likes to read simple magazines. I guess it's a habit of his to get up early in the morning and doesn't watch late-night programs too. Though sometimes we watch comedy shows together and laugh. There's never been a remote control battle. In other words, Iwamoto is someone very convenient to live with―that sometimes makes me worried because he is too flexible... So young and very patient.

A month passes in the blink of an eye.

Getting out of the bathroom, Iwamoto is seen only wearing a pair of pants and drying his head.

"Iwamoto-san."

"I told you, you don't need to use honorifics all the time."

"Oh, yeah, you're right..."

Still, it's already becoming a habit of mine and can't be fixed so easily.

"We've been living together for a month, but did something happen recently? Lately, it seems like you want to tell me something important..."

"Well, yes. You're right."

Iwamoto opens his eyes. The towel is still on his head, and water drips down to his cheek. He looks even younger than usual when his bangs are down. He smells good, like shampoo. Though his usual sweaty smell is better.

"I'm a bit guilty since you cook every day."

After work, Iwamoto would run to the supermarket and come back to cook for most of the afternoon. I think it's a pretty heavy burden. I just want him to know that it's not a necessary thing to do.

"Oh, no. I like to cook... Maybe you'd rather I make something else―fish? Maybe sashimi."

"No, the usual dishes you make are really delicious. They make me want to stuff myself non-stop."

Iwamoto smiles.

"To tell you the truth, I am a little scared because I seem to feel too comfortable living here. Sorry, at the beginning I meant only to help you but...I don't know. Turns out I discovered that I like cooking and want to keep doing it."

"Well, if that's so then there's no problem. I'm truly grateful for your cook. I feel much healthier now."

"Seriously, Sensei, how did you even manage to survive all this time on your own?"

Iwamoto isn't kidding. He seems genuinely concerned about me.

"Iwamoto, is there anything you want me to do?"

"What?"

"To thank you for the food. Do you want me to do something for you?"

Iwamoto shows a slight look of thought, glances at me, but then turns his head down in panic. The towel hides his face so I can't see his expression clearly. His ears are red, but it may be because he just got out of the bath.

"Well...yes."

Iwamoto says it with his face down as if regretting that this is a really bad idea. His voice is fading away. I try to peek at him, but he avoids me too hard. 

"Well, what is it?"

I genuinely want Iwamoto to say something. Hell, if he tells me he needs a car, I'll buy it right away without even asking why.

"I want a bigger bathtub."

"...Hahaha."

"I mean...I mean, I really like bathing. I take a very long bath from time to time, and maybe I'd even sleep in there."

Iwamoto buries his head further down.

I laugh again, "I understand, a bathtub."

For Iwamoto, I am even willing to buy two.


PREV  •  TOC  •  NEXT



RELATED NOVELS: