There are more people than I expected.

In this area, close to the university hospital, people will start working again on October 1. That's why it takes quite a brutal struggle to fight for a new living place. And I am indeed being impatient, but do I come at a bad time? I don't want to get into controversy just over a flat, so I think again.

Um...but I already decided to choose a different type of flat, so I guess I won't need to compete. A slightly luxurious, cozy, spacious, and expensive flat.

I sit down in front of the customer service desk. The clerk, who has been negative because of my poor appearance, suddenly changes his face when I tell him the amount I can pay. However, finding a flat is more difficult than I imagined. The population in the city where I live is growing rapidly, mainly due to young families. 

"With this price, would you be interested in looking at an apartement around here?"

He finally seems to have found something for me. The price is good, it's close to the station and there's a supermarket two blocks away. There is also a convenience store on the corner. Not too close to the hospital I work but still within reach. It is also within walking distance of downtown and about three blocks from a major highway. Concrete, four-story, new construction, southeast facing. Condition is perfect.

Except for one point.

"It's pretty big..."

"Oh, each apartement has a large terrace. With a garden and a fascinating view of the city. It is meant for young couples with children or newlyweds. I think it could be great for you and your wife."

I am single. More than single, completely virgin. And yes, I want space, but not that much space! But in the end, I decide to say yes and agree to see the place in case it would convince me. I have money, only my will is missing. I need to take it easy. For now,  I'm going to go home, have a coffee, and check several prices on the internet before making final decision. 

Ah, what a mess.

A young couple with children, the clerk said. The kind of people who fit their image is there. Sitting next to me, smiling and joking as they look at the brochure. A couple of college students talking about sharing a flat are also here... Oh wow, when I was a student, I was part of many groups and had quite a few friends here and there. But unexpectedly, I turned into a very deviant and asocial person. It would be great to cut off this current boring life and start over. Put the pieces together to get a different picture. Though I don't even know where or how.

Man, I need to get rid of this jealousy.

...What's that?

I see a familiar towel. A towel labeled "Kaito Construction" is tucked into the back pocket of a pair of jeans. A well-built man in a black T-shirt and safety shoes looks at me as if he has noticed me long before I notice him.

"Iwa―"

"Sensei!"

*   *   *

"Yuge-sensei!"

Iwamoto hurries across a sea of students towards me. His smile is huge, his eyes sparkling... What a natural and unrelenting man.

No, I can't do this.

Sure, I want to meet Iwamoto, but it's too soon. Seeing Iwamoto's face, my weird thoughts come back. I am a little uncomfortable, confused, and wanted, but don't wish to talk to him yet... But if I suddenly turn around and leave, Iwamoto will be very depressed.

He looks fine.

However, I feel that his expression is not as relaxed as it should be. Since he didn't come back to the hospital in almost a month, does it mean he's worried about something other than his body? Is it okay to ask or should I keep quiet? I'm just his doctor, an acquaintance who happened to know him.

"Are you looking for a flat, Sensei?"

"Yes, I'm going to move..."

"What a coincidence."

Oh, Iwamoto's smile is beautiful! It conveys a lot of calm and happiness to me despite his excessively rough and out-of-control look... Oh, how can I make a smile as nice as the one Iwamoto shows me?

"It's just that...I live in a very old apartment at the moment."

He draws his eyebrows together.

"What? But you're a doctor from a pretty good hospital? I thought you'd be living in a high-end apartment."

"It's the opposite, my place is cramped. It's not earthquake-proof, it smells like cow dung, the keys are rusty, it's hot, and I almost killed myself going downstairs to work today. It's really awful."

"Why do you live in a place like that then?"

Iwamoto laughs. I smile.

"I wonder too why." It changed after I met you though. "And what about you?"

"Me?"

Iwamoto suddenly gets all serious.

"...I'm having trouble. Just some small issues but...they come at once." Iwamoto looks outside. It is already dark. "If it is under other circumstances I would have been able to get over it quick, but they come at the wrong time."

"Where do you live now?"

"Well, the construction company where I work pays our apartment. It's part of the government program."

"I see."

I'm guessing this must be the company embroidered on Iwamoto's towel, Kaito Construction? It means he has a home, as long as he works.

"The boss and his wife are good people so do all my co-workers. I have bed, food, and they also give us cleaning supplies frequently."

So why does Iwamoto want to move? He doesn't seem to have a bad life. Is it that he just got bored with everyday life? Or something deeper than that? Now, I become quite worried. Iwamoto is a smart man. Even when we talk about very simple things, I can understand that he has high communication skills. He seems to be good at survival, hardworking, and honest.

Iwamoto pulls the corner of his mouth when he notices my worried face.

"Um...Sensei?"

"Yes?"

"I was actually thinking of going to the hospital to see you, but since there's nothing urgent, I'm afraid I'll disturb you instead."

"No, not at all!"

If he had come and asked me if I was busy, I would definitely say no even if I had a thousand patients in line.

"No way. I know OB/GYN doctors are always busy."

"Well, I have time now."

"I have time too."

Oh my God!

"And I was thinking I'm hungry."

"Yeah, me too."

Oh my f*cking God!

There is a brief silence as my head suddenly shuts down. Iwamoto looks straight at me and then smiles.

"So what, are we going together?

"Well..."

I can't believe this. What kind of lucky sh*t is this?

"Or not? Sure, sure, you need to contact your wife first."

"Well, I'm single."

"I know, you just told me you're living in an awful flat. You obviously don't have a wife."

Again, Iwamoto bursts out laughing. He's...he really is a beautiful man.

"Let's go eat then."

"I want to talk to you, Sensei. It has nothing to do with medical treatment, it's just that...I think I need to tell you what's going on."

"Is it hard to say it here?"

Iwamoto nods. "Quite hard."


PREV  •  TOC  •  NEXT



RELATED NOVELS: