BIGBUTADORABLE.BL0GSPOT.C0M

Jeremy reluctantly picked up his spoon again. The jackal blinking across from him was truly monstrous. Every time he blinked, his distinctive golden eyes were covered in black fur.

The delicious food suddenly felt like gritty sand. His stomach churned, and after a few mouthfuls of soup, Jeremy put down his spoon.

"Why don't you eat more?"

"I'm full. I ate a lot already."

Jeremy turned his head as he answered the jackal's question. In truth, he'd been a bit deflated since he'd been forced to wear the apron.

It was overwhelming, this giant being trying to crush the pride of a man with nothing. Jeremy feared that he would forever be at the monster's mercy.

It was frustrating not to be able to understand Asterios' intentions, let alone be trapped in this strange space. He wonders if the Jackal was enjoying this skit.

'Yeah, he is a monster after all.'

Jeremy remembers a conversation he had with Max on the beach one day. The man was a romantic. When he said he understood his art, Jeremy felt completely in love with him. He told Jeremy that as an artist you have to know when to be stubborn and when to let go.

Jeremy is not a self-proclaimed artist, but he have to admit that he does have a certain stubbornness and assertiveness, along with a sensitive temperament, of course. He just lived with it and pretended not to be affected by it.

So is it time to be stubborn, or is it time to conform like a mouse?

'If I conform here... how long will I have to live like this?'

Jeremy can put off talking to Asterios, or he can just ignore his ridiculous questions, but that's not always an option. Especially since this monster has a high-pressure, bossy personality.

Jeremy lifts his head in determination, takes a deep breath, and opens his mouth.

"...You asked for a conversation, and yes, I've been angry since this morning, and the reason is simple: I found out that this isn't the real Nawatuwa Island."

"......"

At Jeremy's abruptness, the Jackal follows suit and raises his head to face his opponent. As if he meant it when he said he was ready to listen to the middle-aged man.

"I... I thought I'd been tricked. I mean, I asked to be sent home, but this isn't the real Nawatuwa Island, and it's not my home. It's just a crude reconstruction of my memories, and keeping me here is... is a fraud."

The human chews his lip as he speaks, his face contorting. He tried to sound calm and not angry, but the moment he uttered the word fraud, a dull pain rose in his chest.

It is true. Jeremy has been lied to. His memories are being trampled on, he is trapped inside, being used as Asterios' puppet.

Jeremy is angry and resentful. He realizes that what he thought was his life was just a lie, and that he was so excited when the Jackal told him he was going to send him home. Jeremy realizes how ridiculous he must have looked.

"Why...why, did you put me in this place, why...!?"

Jeremy's hands are shaking, clenched into tight fists. He shouldn't be so upset, but his voice is getting shakier and shakier.

The Jackal, on the other side, does not blink when Jeremy stirs as if about to jump to his feet. Instead, he asks a question in a wickedly low voice.

"I have a question of my own. What is this 'real Nawatuwa' you speak of?"

"What...?"

"After all, this island you're looking for is just a factory video. You asked to be sent home, and I thought this was the best way to honor that request."

"......"

Jeremy bites his lip at Asterios' logical rebuttal. For the umpteenth time, he wonders if the real Nawatuwa even exists, if what he saw in the vision is real.

Ignoring the human's grimacing face, the monster continues in a calm tone.

"The real Nawatuwa only exists in your little head, that's why I made it that way, and I don't understand why it upsets you."

"You're not wrong, but what kind of person would want such a wish?"

Jeremy is frustrated. How many people will think this is what will happen if they ask to be sent home? Most will probably think they are being scammed.

Jeremy is tired of the jackal who does unorthodox things and then says it's justified. His attitude is always, "You're the weird one. Jeremy feels stupid for thinking they might be able to have a real conversation. This creature makes no sense at all. It is like talking to a brick wall.

The middle-aged man, feverish from Asterios' reaction, turns to the monster with bloodshot eyes.

"Okay, let's say I made a stupid wish, then let me change it. I need to get out of here."

"You mean you want to leave me?"

"Yes. Get me out of here."

"I can't do that."

The Jackal answers immediately. There is a hint of coldness in his voice, just as there was in his commands.

"Why, you said you'd do anything you could? Isn't that a simple wish?! It's possible, isn't it?"

"It is impossible, because I took you out of that factory on the condition that I would keep you."

"Why did you bring me here in the first place? I am not offering you anything in return. So what's the point of keeping me here and torturing me, does it give you pleasure?"

"......"

Asterios' forehead wrinkles into a small frown. Just when he thinks he's gotten away with it, the human starts to get agitated again.

"I stand corrected. First, I have never bullied you, and second, my reason for bringing you here is simple: you chose me."

"W-what...?"

Jeremy slams his hand down on the table, unable to contain himself. Of course, what the Jackal said is true and logical. But even a three-year-old can see that it's not the emotionally right thing to do.

"Why are you angry again? I gave you a wish to be sent to an island that was only in your head, and I gave you food and shelter and a place to sleep, and I even gave you a feast, and you didn't want that?"

"No! What kind of human would want to be abandoned like this, alone, in the middle of nowhere! This is... this is just a play, a crude copy of my memories..."

Gradually, the human voice begins to creep in, with tears instead of anger. And when he talks about his isolation, Jeremy finally breaks down in tears. Just like that. He sobs. He chokes. His throat closes so tightly that he can't speak his feelings anymore.

It is quite a sight to see the middle-aged man, naked and wearing only an apron, sobbing. Asterios can't relate to the human's emotions, so he tilts his head slightly, gesturing in a way he doesn't quite understand.

"It's me."

"...What?"

"Why do you think you're alone when I'm here?"

"Haa..."

Confusion flashes across Jeremy's face, which is messy from crying. He is at a loss for words. It is so impossible to understand this crazy monster with human common sense.

"No, I think I know... Yes, I do."

The jackal mutters to himself, trying to figure out why the little human is reacting the way he is. Humans are pack animals, which means they can never be satisfied or survive with just one person.

"I misunderstood. I'm sorry."

The jackal softens his voice and asks calmly. I feel a little sorry for the little creature.

"Maybe you're outnumbered, or maybe you just need someone at your side all day."

Asterios is not lying about being almost all-powerful. Jeremy blinks once, and the jackal on the other side of the table suddenly becomes three.

"If you need more, let me know, I'm all ears."

The human blinks again in surprise, and the number grows even larger. Locked in by five pairs of golden eyes, Jeremy freezes.

'You're nuts.'




PREV   •   TOC   •   NEXT