BIGBUTADORABLE.BL0GSPOT.C0M

Judging by the length of the shadows, it's just about noon. There is nothing to do until the sun sets, until Jeremy goes into heat and mates with the monster. Like a broken tape, there is nothing to do but repeat the free and terrible parts of the day, forever remembering the past that never was.

But today is different. Suddenly Jeremy feels a chill run down his spine.

"I see you're here again."

A familiar voice greets Jeremy. It is the Jackal, rising from the shadow of the parasol.

"...ugh."

It is cramped under the parasol for the tall monster and the plump human to sit together. Still, the jackal refuses to stand in the sun and bends at the waist to sit in the shade.

"Are you thinking about that human again?"

"I wasn't."

Jeremy flinches at the jackal's question and braces himself. For a moment, the golden eyes that had warned him so terrifyingly flash before his eyes like an afterimage. He looks away, stares at the ground as if he has done something very wrong, and feels his lower back grow damp.

"I can't help but think of Max when I'm alone, can I?"

Jeremy finally asks, rolling his eyes and squinting at the jackal. The monster will know anyway if he says otherwise.

He doesn't need to be told how stupid it is to cling to someone who never existed. If thinking about Max only makes him feel lonely and bitter, it is time to stop. Maybe the Jackal is just frustrated and throwing a tantrum because Jeremy keeps acting like an idiot. But what comes out of his mouth next is unexpected.

"You're free to do whatever you want when you're alone."

Jeremy looks back at the jackal, wide-eyed, not expecting the monster to be so generous.

"......"

He almost brushes his cheek against the jackal's long muzzle. He doesn't realize how close they are. Asterios sits so close that he can touch him if he turns his head.

"But I won't. I get upset when I think of Max."

"Well, I wouldn't say I'm angry... I'm just kind of curious."

"Curious about what, Max?"

Jeremy repeats incredulously, Asterios nods silently. To be honest, the Jackal doesn't like the thought of his small, cute offering being reminded of the primitive human. But Jeremy has been getting weirder and weirder these days, so he has no choice but to let it go. The little human used to get angry with him, but now his reaction to everything is distasteful.

Asterios likes that he's becoming more submissive, but it's obvious that he doesn't really follow or obey. Jeremy Rogers just sinks back into his seat and gives him a blank stare.

He has a feeling the man will wither and die as he stares off into the distance. Asterios doesn't know why he has such an ominous feeling, even though he knows that humans are not plants, that they have a strong life force.

The idea of a dry, precious offering is unthinkable, so Asterios had done some research on how to properly breed humans. According to a book he read last night, humans have a habit of fulfilling their social needs through conversation, which means that if their need for conversation is not fulfilled, they are likely to become depressed and sick.

Asterios thinks this is ridiculous, but he can't help himself. So now—yes, very ridiculously—he plans to satisfy Jeremy's need for conversation by talking to him about his favorite things.

"Well, yeah. I'm just wondering what kind of person he is that you keep reminding him of."

It is the first time the Jackal has ever shown a friendly reaction to Max. After a moment of surprise, Jeremy's expression turns subtle and he replies dryly.

"Whatever. He doesn't exist anyway, according to you."

"Even knowing that, you keep thinking about this 'Max' thing. I just wonder how big of a deal he is."

"......"

Jeremy looks at Asterios with a slightly stunned expression, then looks away again. He clicks his empty can from time to time, as if to indicate that he is uncomfortable with the Jackal's remarks.

The thought of Max obviously bothers him, but he's not sure if it's appropriate to talk about him in front of him.

'Is this some kind of high-stakes test where he's gauging my reaction and if I don't give him the answer he wants, he's going to punish me right away.'

"......"

Cackle. The sound of the can crushing stops. Jeremy sets the empty can on the sand and opens his mouth.

"I met him three years ago. It all started when I got caught hawking at a souvenir shop. I knew he was the one from the moment I saw him."

"...I see."

Asterios, however, listens to Jeremy's story without any hurtful retorts. The Jackal had read a book on conversation and it said if you don't know something, don't say it. Now the topic of conversation is Max, and since he knows so little about him, he just keeps his mouth shut.

"I kept it a secret from Max for a long time, until I was on my way to the airport after quitting my job as a mercenary...yes, a mercenary. I guess I was being too annoying and letting my frustration show, but he kept dragging me over to take a look."

A faint smile tugs at the corner of the middle-aged man's mouth as he reminisces, his eyes fixed on the distant ocean. The Jackal knows this story is not so pleasant, but he can't figure out why the human feels such positive emotions.

Asterios doesn't like Jeremy's smile. It's bizarre that the man who has never smiled at him, no matter what he does to make him feel better, suddenly smiles—not at him. Still, it's better than him being annoyed or grumpy, so Asterios holds back. He just let the little human reminisce about the old days.

"Well, I missed my flight. That's when it all started... But do you even know what an airplane is?"

A pair of blue eyes turn to the black monster, their normally murky depths somehow alive with life. Strange, but not unpleasant. The jackal looks down at the human, a head shorter than himself, and replies.

"I don't know if it's exactly like what you know, but I think so."

It's not a lie, though he has to admit that he uses a little of his ability to figure out that an airplane is a means of transportation after reading the images in the human's mind—all this time he's been talking as if he knew everything, but in fact he's never set foot on Earth.

Asterios knows that everything Jeremy says is just a dream, but this old human is talking as if what he has experienced in virtual reality is all real, which makes the Jackal feel even worse. It bothers him that he knows everything about Jeremy the milking man, but nothing about Jeremy the sculptor from Nawatuwa Island.

"......"




PREV   •   TOC   •   NEXT